Thursday, December 21, 2006

New Year's at Alki Beach

Place: Alki Beach
Time: New Years 2006

New Years never seemed like a big deal earlier. I was either at home seeing some stupid movie on Sun TV or preparing to get back to college .. back to my campus life. This time it was different. I was not home for New Years and there were a few loser friends of mine who werent either.

We decided to go to Alki Beach ... to see the new year fire-works. Fire-works ... hah well .. didnt excite me much. But hey ... it is a beach and how can beaches ever get boring. We drove around in packed cars. Even the trunk was packed ... with cameras, huge lenses, tripods. You guessed right ... we had a few expert photographers along with us.

I was in for a surprise again. There was no sand on this beach. ?? Made me wonder if I was at the right place. Hell ya .. I was. The beach was a pebble beach. We couldnt walk around much on the beach, but you think anyone was interested? Especially in the freezing weather? Again ... I was the only one in the whole crowd who wanted to touch the water. Everyone else were busy setting up their cameras and tripods and waiting silently for the new year fireworks. I went closer to the waters. This time, my roommate came along. Her motive was mostly photos. And going closer to the water .. was creating a pretty good background for the photo.

Fire-works finally. The fire-works originated at the Space Needle. For the first time ... the Space Needle looked more magnificent than the qwest field and the safeco field. At all other times, the lighted quest field took control of the sky line. It started at mid-night sharp and lasted exactly 8 mins. (oh ya, I remember 8 mins). It seemed less to me and very repetitive. But others found it pretty good.

The photographers also managed to get a few shots. Some of them shook too. Apparently the cars driving on the road were shaking the tripod and so the photos shook. That explanation surprised me. Well, what the hell do I know about photography (other than to pose ofcourse ;))

The Seattle sky line looked pretty good. Ever since ... I have wanted to go back to Alki and see the sky line both during the day and during the night. I guess I will go back sooner or later.

ps: the photographers know to take snaps but they dont know to share them. I never got the snaps that were taken that night. :(